Monday, February 5, 2007

Exporting/Importing Settings in Visual Studio 2005

OK, so maybe I'm cheating with this post by referencing ScottGu's Blog, but I just love it when you do a web search and find exactly what you are looking for.

I was getting annoyed with the fact that my toolbars and other settings were different on my tablet PC than my work PC. Even more annoying was trying to figure out exactly where the settings were to change them. Add to that the fact that my tablet was using one setting to assume a default location for all projects and wouldn't allow me to specify different folders for each.... As an aside, I realize that it's really my fault and not my PCs. :) But if anybody asks, the computer did it!

Anyway, at this link, you will find Scott's tips on setting up, exporting, and importing custom profiles for the Visual Studio 2005 IDE. Over time, I had forgotten all the changes I had made to my work PC to get it to a point where I was happy. Simply exporting the settings and importing them into my tablet saved me quite a bit of time. Thanks, Scott!

No comments: