Monday, February 11, 2008

Another Nice Piece of Software

I'm not opposed to buying software when it works well, but I decided to look around for a simpler, faster alternative to Total Commander. It did a good job of copying files, and it also appears to do a ton more. Most likely I would never use many of it's features. In my search for a simple way to copy files as fast as possible, I came across TeraCopy. I'm now using it to finish the copying of files to one of my NAS boxes, and it is consistently pushing the data at 4MB/s. That's pretty fast when considering that the target is an Infrant ReadyNAS NV running XRAID. It's about twice as fast as what Total Commander was able to average. Plus, it's free for home use and couldn't be simpler to use. It just integrates itself into Windows Explorer and shows up as an option whenever you do a right-click drag (TeraCopy and TeraMove the selected folder(s) and/or file(s)). I'm running 2.0 Beta 2, and it's working beautifully so far. What did we ever do with computers before the internet and google allowed us to find really nice applications to satisfy every need? Well, maybe not every need. I still have to write the occasional tool to do some random task, but that's what keeps things interesting. At some point, I'll put a list of little applications I've written up here to share with anybody who wants them.

No comments: