For those who haven't used it, there is a site called Jellyfish through which you can get cash back for shopping at particular stores. Microsoft actually purchased them and turned it into the Microsoft Cashback program integrated with Microsoft Live Search. They are currently offering the following deal that gets you at least 8%, up to $200, on tons of ebay items. You can also use the offer up to 12 times for a maximum savings of $2400 reimbursed directly to your PayPal account!
- Go to https://cashbackaccount.search.live.com/cashback/welcome.aspx and set up a Microsoft CashBack account (just sign in with your Live ID and tell them your address).
- Go to search.live.com
- Search for the keyword noted in bold purple at the top of this post to trigger a % off ebay offer (8% and up). Note you don't have to buy what you search for on Live. Once you get to ebay, you can search for and buy whatever you like.
- If the offer is triggered, you will see a gray box that looks something like this. You may have to search multiple times to trigger the offer.
- One or more of the links will take you to ebay (pick the one that has the highest % off) where you then have a 60 minute window to find and buy whatever product you like. As previously noted, your % off coupon has been triggered and you can now search for anything you like in ebay. Technically, you can find the product in advance and add it to your watch list instead of trying to beat the 60 minute clock. You need to use Buy It Now and pay via PayPal. On the page where you confirm your purchase after clicking the Buy It Now button, you will see how much cash back you are going to get (look because there are special instructions for some sellers). Don't worry, though, because you haven't agreed to purchase the item yet when you're on that screen. Confirm the purchase, check out, and follow the directions (you will need to click a link to Microsoft's CashBack site at the end to claim your cash back).
- If the item has a return policy specified (in the return policy section of the listing not in the description), your cash back will become available 60 days later (they wait until you cannot return the item) in your Microsoft CashBack account and be automatically transferred to your PayPal account. If the item does not have a return policy, you get the cash back instantly in your PayPal account! Please note that I cannot guarantee this last statement if it's your first purchase using the offer as they may have a different rule for that. I have purchased 4 items so far and have received instant cash back on two of them (#2 and #4) ostensibly because they had no return policy.
Please note that nobody appears to know when this offer will end, but I can't imagine it will last beyond the holiday shopping season.
EDIT: Added details about instant cash back and being able to search for anything once you get to ebay regardless of what you search for in Microsoft Live Search. Added Magellan GPS search term. Added note about the keyword not being important but the timing triggering the different % savings.
EDIT: I made purchase number 12 with this offer. Upon attempting # 13, I was informed on the eBay checkout screen that I had already exceeded my lifetime limit for the deal.