Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Exporting/Importing Settings in Visual Studio 2005 - Part 2

As a follow-up to my February 5th post....

I must be getting a little slower with age, but I eventually realized that the reason the Visual Studio 2005 installation on my tablet PC was so different from the one on my desktop was because it was the Standard Edition, versus Professional on the desktop. According to this chart, the Standard Edition features "Simplified menu options and defaults". I guess that's what I was running up against. Well, since importing the settings from my Professional installation, the Standard edition has been "transformed" with most of the menu and toolbar options that were previously unavailable. It's solved all of my issues, at least. Seems like another instance of Microsoft simply hiding functionality instead of eliminating it for lower versions. I just stumbled upon a way of unlocking it, I suppose.

No comments: